So let's see how I did.
Goal 1. Adhere to Goals and ObjectivesObjectives:
- Plan goal work for each month, making sure that each goal gets some attention each quarter.
- Continue weekly checks of goals.
Goal 2. Prepare Mummy Hunters for SubmissionObjectives:
- Complete revision of paper draft
- Prepare synopsis
- Prepare cover letter
- Submit to first four agents
- Prepare for next round of submissions
Goal 3. Generate New Short Work/Programs
- Prepare Writing Strategies workshops for school appearance at beginning of March. Set aside time each week in January and February for this.
- Prepare articles using material from last year's workshop submissions. Set aside time each week after Writing Strategies is completed.
- Complete at least one short story, using the weekly time set aside for new work/programs.
- Essay possibilities: The workshop slide change; my love for my iphone
Goal 4. Marketing Saving the Planet & Stuff eBookObjectives
- Look into taking book down from Barnes & Noble and Kobo to take advantage of Kindle. marketing for books exclusive to that company.
- Look into the expense involved with printing a paper edition. (This would involved negotiating with the cover artist, since our contract only involves a digital edition.)
- If I move to Amazon KDP Select, plan some Twitter promotion, maybe in relation to Earth Day month
- Collect names of some authors who might be interested in doing a Christmas eBook promotion this year.
Goal 5. Community Building/General Marketing/Branding
|Janet Lawler Colchester library appearance|
- Continue with writers' group
- Continue with Original Content
- January--Cybils judging
- Check out NESCBWI spring conference, with possibility of attending
- Check out NESCBWI-PAL offerings this year, with possibility of attending
- Look into starting Instagram account (I have a plan.)
- Attend other authors' appearances, as I did last year
- Continue with (and keep better track of time used on) promoting Original Content at Google+, Facebook communities, Goodreads' blog, and Twitter
- Continue reviewing environmental books at Amazon
- Research markets for short work.
- Do at least two updates for my website, one this month relating to my work for the Cybils and the new workshop I'm developing and another after the school appearance date, when I will post a workshop description.
Goal 6. Generate New Work: Revise Adult Version of Becoming Greg and EmmaObjective:
- Summer or fall
Overall Assessment Of My Year
I was a little chagrined when I went over these goals last week. I had been feeling pretty good about this year, and then I saw how little I did for Goals 3 and 4. However:
- Marketing the Saving the Planet & Stuff eBook shouldn't be as high a priority as generating new work at this point. It's been out in the world for a few years. My marketing efforts now are experiments and training for marketing future work.
- Generating new book-length children's fiction like The Mummy Hunters and Trouble at Wee Play World is higher priority than generating new short adult pieces, because, remember, I'm a children's writer.
- In addition, I did some significant work on adult full-length manuscripts, which will mean a whole new world of submitting.