For anyone new just dropping by: I just want to point out that goals are what one hopes to achieve, objectives are the tasks necessary to achieve them. What you're going to do, how you're going to do it. A goal without objectives is a lot like a New Year's resolution. It leaves you with no idea how you're going to do what you want to do.
Goal 1. Adhere to Goals and Objectives
- Plan goal work for each month, making sure that each goal gets some attention each quarter.
- Continue weekly checks of goals.
Goal 2. Prepare Mummy Hunters for Submission
- Complete revision of paper draft
- Prepare synopsis
- Prepare cover letter
- Submit to first four agents
- Prepare for next round of submissions
Goal 3. Generate New Short Work/Programs
- Prepare Writing Strategies workshops for school appearance at beginning of March. Set aside time each week in January and February for this.
- Prepare articles using material from last year's workshop submissions. Set aside time each week after Writing Strategies is completed.
- Complete at least one short story, using the weekly time set aside for new work/programs.
- Essay possibilities: The workshop slide change; my love for my iphone
Goal 4. Marketing Saving the Planet & Stuff eBook
- Look into taking book down from Barnes & Noble and Kobo to take advantage of Kindle. marketing for books exclusive to that company.
- Look into the expense involved with printing a paper edition. (This would involved negotiating with the cover artist, since our contract only involves a digital edition.)
- If I move to Amazon KDP Select, plan some Twitter promotion, maybe in relation to Earth Day month
- Collect names of some authors who might be interested in doing a Christmas eBook promotion this year.
Goal 5. Community Building/General Marketing/Branding
These were separate goals last year. I'm lumping them together, because community building is marketing. It's warm and fuzzy and makes marketing/branding connections at the same time.
- Continue with writers' group
- Continue with Original Content
- January--Cybils judging
- Check out NESCBWI spring conference, with possibility of attending
- Check out NESCBWI-PAL offerings this year, with possibility of attending
- Look into starting Instagram account (I have a plan.)
- Attend other authors' appearances, as I did last year
- Continue with (and keep better track of time used on) promoting Original Content at Google+, Facebook communities, Goodreads' blog, and Twitter
- Continue reviewing environmental books at Amazon
- Research markets for short work.
- Do at least two updates for my website, one this month relating to my work for the Cybils and the new workshop I'm developing and another after the school appearance date, when I will post a workshop description.
Goal 6. Generate New Work: Revise Adult Version of Becoming Greg and Emma
- Summer or fall