I am talking about goals and objectives. A goal is what we want to do and objectives are how we're going to reach the goal.
So what am I going to do this year? Hmm.
Goal 1. Make Submissions Of Completed Work Throughout The Year
- Submissions to editors and agents from November NESCBWI program
- Research agents at Publishers Marketplace
- Research agents for adult books for Becoming Greg and Emma.
- Spend time at Essay Facebook group while on retreat in January
Goal 2. Begin YA Thriller
- Finish character sketches
- Generate material for plot, setting, theme using Scott Turow Method, meaning working in very short sprints
- Read YA thrillers
- Bring material to writers' group each month
Goal 3. Generate New Work
- Finish a first draft of Good Women.
- Do some work--any work--on this in January through March
- In April prep for a May Days Good Women sprint (NoNoWriMo model)
- Improve blueprints of new chapters
- Food essays
- External support for willpower essay
- Essays developed from workshop proposals
- Article on the recycling crafts in Saving the Planet & Stuff
- Research markets all year
- Make essay and short story reading a priority
- For instance, on Retreat Week next week.
Goal 4. Community Building/General Marketing/Branding
- Continue with writers' group
- Continue with Original Content
- Start using a weekly social media calendar again.
- Check out NESCBWI spring conference, with possibility of attending
- Check out NESCBWI-PAL offerings this year, with possibility of attending
- Attend other authors' appearances
- Continue with promoting Original Content at Google+, Facebook communities, Goodreads' blog, and Twitter
- Provide social media support for writers/bloggers generating diversity material
- Improve my use of Pinterest. It's not that great for marketing, but it's fun.
Less May Be More
Last year I had 7 goals. Ambitious, but when family issues came up, there was way too much professional stuff to even try to keep up with. I have reason to expect some family need early in the year. I'm gambling that fewer goals will be easier to stick with while bouncing among a couple of different family members.
Seriously, I'm planning for trouble. Speaking of which:
Goal 5. Expect the end of the year to be a disaster. Get as much done professionally and personally before mid-November. Putting it in writing so I won't forget.