|Where I'm working these days.|
Goal 1. Work on short-form writing, essays, and short stories.
- Work on the humor and flash pieces I began or revised/organized in December. I have 31 of them. I need to do a post about that another time. While I have been working on short work, and publishing some, I forgot all about that December business. That's something to look forward to!
- Spend a lot more time with Facebook flash and essay-writing groups, checking out what people are publishing and where. Haven't done this at all.
- Look for more on-line writing classes/workshops. I signed up for one today. Attended two.
- Commit more time to reading essays and short stories. I'm trying to read essays, short stories, and humor in the evening. And I am, in fact, reading a book by David Sedaris right now.
Goal 2. Finish a draft of YA thriller that could become an adult thriller.
- I took a break from this project after November, so I'll need to reread what I've done to bring myself back up to speed. Did this much at least.
- I have some outlining/blueprinting done for the next work. Go over this and extend it. Did a little bit.
- Read YA thrillers. Hmm. Not doing a great job on this. You can check out my reading on Goodreads. But, again, this is something to look forward to!
- Read history, since that's a significant factor for a character and maybe in other ways. Not much, but a little.
- Make a big push on this during May. I tried, but was diverted with short form writing. I'm pushing this summer.
Goal 3. Concentrate on submissions and maintaining the number of submissions I made last year. First off, I've made 28 submissions this year with 7 acceptances and two terrific rejections with feedback.
- Try to submit once a month to a Medium publication. I have something ready to go right now. I didn't do this monthly, but I have had 7 pieces published at Medium sites, and we are starting the 7th month of the year, so that's kind of like monthly.
- Submit to the two major humor sites at Medium. I've done that. Had a piece accepted by one of them and got some great feedback from the other.
- Submit to the journal that was encouraging last year. I haven't done this yet, because I want to revise something for them. Didn't even come close to doing this.
- Search for agents to submit to, particularly for the adult manuscripts that haven't been submitted to as many people as the middle grade stories have. Kind of. I want to do a DIY book submission retreat later this year.
- Take advantage of Twitter pitch opportunities. I have done this, though the major one I submitted to in the past, Pitmad, is gone.
Goal 4. Community Building/General Marketing/Branding
- Mark Original Content's 20th anniversary with reprinting material from the archives that connect with present events. Yes.
- Provide social media support for writers/bloggers generating diversity material. If nothing else, I can combine some archival material to do this and mark OC's anniversary at the same time. A multiplier! Yes, though I could do more.
- Continue with the virtual author opportunities posts, if I continue to find them. Yes, though those are disappearing.
- Attend virtual book launches and promote here. Not so much, because of the objective above.
- Use NetGalley to support authors with new books publishing this year. Yes.
- Continue with promoting Original Content at Facebook communities, Goodreads' blog, and Twitter. Yes, though I haven't been using the Goodreads blog at all. Something to look forward to!
- Check-in with goals and objectives quarterly. Yes for this quarter, anyway.