A Training Model
I think two newly published writers recently interviewed at Cynsations can definitely be described as having trained before getting their first books published.
Yes, Michelle Cusolito (a NESCBWI member who I've met) and Casey W. Robinson followed the traditional writer advice to write and read a great deal. But notice how directed they were about it.
|Casey W. Robinson|
- They took classes
- They read thousands of picture books, because that was the genre they were interested in writing
- They joined SCBWI
- They both took part in an on-line picture book writing program.
- Michelle assessed the publishers of the picture books she read to determine which types of books various companies were publishing
- Casey analyzed texts to determine how a writer "creates room" for illustrators to pick up the story
- Michelle joined a critique group.
- Casey found a critique partner